BEFORE A COMMUNITY EMERGENCY: What you need to know and do
Just as individuals and families can become informed about and plan for community emergencies, businesses can do much to prepare for the impact of the many hazards they face in today’s world:
- Natural hazards - floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and widespread serious illness such as the H1N1 flu pandemic.
- Human-caused hazards - accidents, workplace violence and acts of terrorism.
- Technology-related hazards - failure or malfunction of systems, equipment and software.
There are many steps in developing a preparedness program, including gathering information about specific hazards and risks, writing and implementing a preparedness plan, training employees, investing in needed emergency equipment and supplies, and planning for business continuity during the emergency and recovery afterward.
- Where to start?
- Secure Community Network: Resources for Businesses
- Do it yourself or get help from outside?
- How long will it take to get ready?
- How much will it cost?
- What to do in an emergency.