Many people have asked what they can do to help in this time of crisis. Here are a just a few ways to have an impact locally and help provide needed support for the citizens of Israel.
SPEAK OUT TO THE MEDIA
Read the newspaper, listen to the radio or watch television and respond. If information or an editorial opinion is inaccurate or unfair, contact the newspaper, magazine, radio or television station and explain the facts. If the information or opinion is positive, a letter to the editor will reinforce positive messages.
Click here for more suggestions on how to effectively speak out to the media and for a list of local and national media contacts.
CAMERA (Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America) is a media-monitoring organization devoted to promoting accurate and balanced coverage of Israel.
SPEAK OUT TO THE GOVERNMENT
Your voice carries more weight in Washington than you might think. Members of Congress pay a lot of attention to what their constituents say; calls, emails and letters can influence a lawmaker’s vote. The White House also closely tracks messages it receives from the public. To carry the greatest weight, your message should be in your own words rather than a “canned” message identical to dozens of others arriving at the same time. Be concise, but try to combine your specific request to the legislator with a personal statement of why Israel is important to you.
Click here for more suggestions on how to effectively speak out to government officials and for contact information on your members of Congress and the White House.
SPEAK OUT TO YOUR FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS AND CO-WORKERS
Tell them that Jews deserve a state of their own for self-defense and to secure the Jewish future, and how you feel about unfair media coverage and biased attitudes towards Israel.
SUPPORT THE JEWISH FEDERATION OF METRO DETROIT
Regardless of what the news media may say, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the Middle East isn’t just about land. It is about Israel’s right to exist, and about our right to exist as Jews. Palestinian political and religious leaders repeatedly call for the death of all Jews, wherever they live. Israel must spend more than half a billion dollars each year to cover the cost of protecting herself. As a result, social service systems will be stressed to the maximum. We can help sustain these systems for our families and friends in Israel by giving to the campaign.
Click here for information about giving to Federation.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
- Plan an Israel educational forum in your synagogue, Jewish or community organization. Contact the JCRC speakers bureau for assistance.
- Host an informal parlor meeting for non-Jewish colleagues and friends to talk about your support for Israel.
- Travel to Israel. Go there, and bring others with you.
- Invest in Israel. Buy Israeli stocks and bonds, and support philanthropic groups which provide assistance to Israel or Israelis.
- Pick up the phone and call an Israeli friend or relative to let them know they are not alone and that we are in solidarity with them.
- Begin a “pen pal” relationship with an Israeli in Detroit’s Partnership 2Gether region in the central Galilee.
- Explore a business opportunity with or in Israel.