*As of December 21, 2020
1. Make Brilliant Detroit Outreach Bags
Help assemble outreach bags for residents around organization sites to ensure they know what resources and programs offered. Interested volunteers would schedule a non-contact porch pick-up from headquarters (5675 Larkins St., Detroit 48210) to get supplies and instructions to create the bags at home. Bags will need to be dropped back off to the building once completed by Friday, January 8. **Note, supplies are heavy and Brilliant Detroit may not be able to assist with lifting.
2. Virtual StorytellerVolunteers are needed to record a video of themselves reading a children’s book out loud to be shared with Brilliant Detroit families.
- Find a non-chapter children’s book aimed for kids ages birth through eight or about third grade.
- Using Zoom or your phone, record yourself reading the book out loud. Consider doing a practice test first to make sure it sounds and looks clear. If you would like your recording to include a close up of the book, ideas can be found here and here. NOTE: Please state the title of the book, the author and that “this is being read with permission from <Name Of Publisher>” This is for copyright and trade reasons. You can read more about why in this article. **
- Tips: (1) Pretend you are reading the book in person. Spend enough time showing the pictures, use silly voices, ask questions and make it interactive and engaging. (2) Keep it less than 10 minutes
- Example Video 1 and Example Video 2
- Upload the video to a file sharing site, like Google Drive or youtube. ***Please name the file as the name of the book and the age, reading level, or grade the book is for! E.g. Green Eggs and Ham Ages 3-7.
- Share or email your video link to email@example.com. You will also need to sign a photo release waiver, which will be provided.
Contact: Chelsea Owens, firstname.lastname@example.org or 586-413-6411
– – –
Jimmy’s Kids is in need of 50 families to make contactless deliveries to families in need. Please register directly with Howard Lazar at email@example.com or 248-821-0461.
First, for those interested in making donations, Jimmy’s Kids is accepting Meijer and Walmart gift cards to distribute. Please write the dollar amount on the gift card or envelope, if it is not already stated. All can be mailed to Howard Lazar at 29546 Briarton, Farmington Hills 48331.
Second, for those interested in making socially distant deliveries on Christmas morning, please click here for information and to register.
– – –
- Emergency Food Distribution Team – Waterford location
- Pack Emergency Food Boxes – Waterford Location
Contact: Marci Fitch at firstname.lastname@example.org for these and other opportunities, such as internships and other activities available throughout the year.
– – –
Seeking 10 cars/drivers on at 9 a.m. on Christmas Day to pick up prepackaged meals at the Hartland Community Education Building (9525 E. Highland Road, Howell 48843). Delivery routes will be in Western Oakland County (Highland, Milford, Walled Lake, West Bloomfield, Wixom and White Lake).
Contact: Cassidy at 810-632-2155.
– – –
If volunteers are comfortable working inside, the Detroit and Rochester Hills shelters are looking for two volunteers each to care for the animals and help with dishes and laundry. Time TBD.
Contact: Akira Hood at email@example.com or 248-285-8531
– – –
– – –
The organization’s Amazon Wish List can be accessed here. All items are organized by list titles on the left and will be delivered directly to Samaritas. Current priorities are space heaters, blankets and hygiene and household cleaning items. Note: similar items may be purchased elsewhere and delivered to theirTroy office (2170 E. Big Beaver Rd. Ste. B, Troy 48083) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Please enter the waiting room and view the instructions on the door that says “Open Door for New Americans Donations.”
In addition, the nonprofit is looking for volunteers to: drop-off donations at client doorsteps; assist with transportation to medical appointments, grocery stores, etc.; move larger items from donor locations to client homes; and virtual tutors. All require registration due to required background checks. Contact the volunteer coordinator, Vicki Huff, at 248-663-0680.
Contact: Maria-Victoria Algarra at MALga@samaritas.org.